Thursday, October 3, 2013

I am sitting in a courtyard, stomach full with a yummy cheeseburger, listening to the bats chirp back and forth thinking I'm one of the most blessed people on the planet.  I just finished a well-paced day at Bethel Clinic at Fringilla Farms.  I saw a number of patients and had a precious time of sharing with Mr. Mutale about God's grace in our lives.  I also got to meet his wife and new 2 week old baby, Thumbiko, which means blessing.  Tomorrow I will head to Liteta Hospital for my second week of seeing patients on the pediatric and newborn wards.  Last week was an enjoyable challenge.  I am looking forward to follow up on the patients I met last week.  Cutest was a 28 week preemie born at home a few days earlier.  She is breathing and feeding well. Just needs to gain some weight.  Difficult cases of an 8 y/o boy with low white count, hemoglobin and platelets who was in a lot of pain.  Young lady with sickle cell (pain crisis resolved) but continuing to spike fever despite multiple antibiotics.  Little girl with bad burn on her leg and foot when she bumped water heating in a pot set on stones over charcoal on the ground.  Child waiting for several days in the hospital while family collects money for a CT scan to rule out/in a brain tumor.  I enjoyed working with both of the two new doctors there.  Dr. Ngongola has moved to Lusaka to do his surgical residency.  Very exciting!  He'll make a wonderful surgeon.
    I've had two good times of prayer with patients this week also.  One after testing him for HIV.  Worked to encourage him to turn back to his faith and find accountability people around him.  He was grateful for the word of prayer.  Tears in his eyes after we prayed.  I can be a little cynical about his pledges that I changed his life etc but am glad to point him back to God.  Another was an elderly woman with abd pain who we sent for further testing.  Was thinking it was gall stones.  She was worried b/c a friend died after gall bladder surgery.  She had a level of peace after prayer.
   Sunday I enjoyed impromtu time and dinner with a group of single girls from church.  Started working on my intern class with Nancy for my license to preach this week.  Enjoyed surprisingly cool weather while I weeded my garden Monday.  Thanks for all the thoughts and notes responding to my e-newsletter.  So grateful for everyone of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment