Friday, August 2, 2013

It has been another busy week.  Balm Clinic was quiet so I was able to work on my lectures for the upcoming CHE convention (community health evangelism).  Very early Wednesday morning (1 am) we picked up the Sustain Hope team from Springfield at the airport.  They are helping with some wonderful appropriate technology lessons for the convention.  They are teaching about solar ovens, solar dehydration, liquid fertilizer, gardening techniques, rocket stoves (efficient stove with limited fuel), briquettes (from local materials that burn better then charcoal...helping prevent deforestation) and a few other things.  I wish I could sit in their sessions too.  I'm picking their brains as we prepare together.

Thursday I went to Fringilla farms again.  Great day seeing patients and catching up with Mr. Mutale.  Today I met with a pastor from Oasis of Love church.  He wanted to know what I am doing this year and shared his heart for evangelism.  It was a great time of making connections and sharing ideas.  I stopped by to see how briquette making was going and then went to one of the Special Hope Network sites.  I saw several of the special needs children I met last month.  I was able to follow up with some of their medical needs.  Hoping moringa powder helps some of them gain weight.  There are some amazing dedicated parents, grandparents and workers helping these kids.  Anyone who wants to invite a neurologist to help me with the medical problems is welcome to; they are stretching my clinical skills. The day ended with making supper for the team and enjoying time together.

I had two cool moments over the past two days.  One was understanding the gist of a medical complaint before the translation.  I hate to admit how many languages I can say "vomit" in.  I learn how to say, "hello", "good-bye", "thank you" and then "vomit, diarrhea, fever".  Helps in a clinical setting but not so much at church.  Aaah, the foibles of medical missions:)  Second moment was getting home from a newer spot because I knew where the roads went...not just guessing general directions.  It's good to start feeling that at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment