Sunday, July 28, 2013

This has been a full week.  Friday Lovemore and I drove up to Kapiri Mposhe to screen more patients for the feeding program.  I had a full African adventure day.  We picked up a CHE worker who was in Lusaka but from Kapiri to give him a lift back, picked another pastor along the way.  Pastor Gabby is from Mungule.  He helped us a lot because he could help the new people in Kapiri fill out the forms since his group has done the feeding program already.  Stopped for a brief meeting with Pastor Zulu in Liteta.  (got to hold the sweetest little butterscotch kitten)  Then onto our destination.  It's somewhere around a 3.5 hour drive.  We screened the participants and then had to visit a few homes.  Everyone loaded up in my truck Zambian style.  I think I had six people plus a bike in the bed of my truck going over rough dirt roads.  I'm glad everyone stayed inside.  On the way home we stopped and bought six bags of charcoal for cooking during convention because it's much cheaper far from the city.  This is not Kingsford style bags.  It was fun listening to the guys barter for it and then load it all up.  I kept my white face hidden until the price was set:)



We were able to enroll 6 more people.  The clinic worker at the local govt clinic helped us a lot by gathering people who he thought might qualify.  He did great.  My heart breaks for several of the children I saw.  One doesn't qualify for the program b/c thankfully he isn't HIV+ but his dad wanted some help.  He was a normal child until he got a bad case of malaria and quinine injection.  Sounds like he had a hypoglycemic seizure afterwards and is mostly blind and deaf since.  Special services are almost non existent here, especially that far out.  Praying for a change of heart of one caregiver to overcome fear and let us help two little ones in desperate need. Next month we will return with the meal supplements and moringa seedlings.  I'm looking forward to seeing the change in people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment