Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I started my 2-week long "Intro to Zambia" class at FENZA (a Catholic campus here in town) Monday. Great lessons on greetings and what to do and not do. Loved meeting all the different people in class too. Ten different countries represented.  Today we had a lecture on African Traditional Religion.  It is making me rethink how I explain my medical reasons for not giving antibiotics for a cold.  The reason behind it is the same as in the States, but what I say may be different.  Understanding the implications culturally for how I explain things...I will have better patient satisfaction and compliance if I state things coming from their point of view instead of mine.  Looking forward to asking my Zambian doctor friends deeper questions to gain more understanding.  

I've been here five months now and received my first snailmail letter! It's from a church friend and patient. Shout out to Caeleb Maynard. He wrote a nice note and notice the Zambian colors of the flag and fish eagle all in the shape of Zambia in this great drawing. Thanks Caeleb! You made my day. (warms my pediatrician heart that one of my "kids" is the first to write me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment