Sunday, July 21, 2013

Enjoyed a wonderful service at Oasis of Love (PAOG) church. It's just a short walk from my house. Good message by Bishop. I liked the illustrations taking African context. Sin crouching at the door where God warned Cain before he killed Abel was described as one type of large hyena who is known for crouching at doors waiting to pounce on the victim as they exit. Very vivid!
His description of the little foxes that spoil the grapes has more meaning when your sitting in a society much closer to their agrarian roots. Even though I'm in the city, still passed a goat and few chickens on the way to church.

A few other thoughts unrelated to the sermon but bouncing around in my heart today:
Sitting in my African church today, struck by how compartmentalized our American culture is today. Truly one culture is not better or smarter than another. Each has its pieces of revelation of God's love and each has its mars of sin. 
Basking in the free expression of love and joy Zambians excel at, my heart wondered at and hurt for my friends who intellectualize themselves out of anything besides the physical world existing. The level of conscious or unconscious denial of a spiritual world beyond what we can see in order to live our own way is great. Even though God may ask difficult things of us, the joy of the Lord is our strength. I wouldn't trade Him for anything I can see! I haven't had to give up thinking rationally to have faith.  Instead of being irrational, it's more like superrational (related to supernatural).  And really it's Him keeping me, not the other way around.  

No comments:

Post a Comment