Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The last couple weeks have brought several big changes.  Nancy, Lovemore and I did one more training for Helping Babies Breathe in Choma.  Fourteen ladies did a wonderful job learning the skill of simple neonatal resuscitation along with normal newborn care.  On the way home from that trip, I received a phone call from the director of the Ministry of Community Development Mother Child Health.  They received my letter listing the program dates but hadn't received a letter from the permanent secretary giving me permission to do the trainings.  They are shifting their focus some and don't want me to continue my trainings at this point.  They want to implement a more comprehensive teaching, including obstetrics emergency care and complete newborn care (not just breathing resuscitation) with the focus being on healthcare workers and not community health workers.  I am sad that I can't deliver the training as promised to the rest of the CHE groups but am looking to see the bigger picture.  The doctor was grateful for my enthusiasm and has invited me to be a part of the the discussions for their technical working group.  I have a sense more opportunities lie ahead that I wouldn't have planned. It is just going to take a little more time.  The other benefit is I will have a slightly slower pace for the last three months here.  Not that I have ever been known for trying to do too much!  So couple last pictures of HBB in 2014, Choma.






This is little Rosie two years ago when I first met her...not walking at 4 years old because malnurished.  Here she is today! Can't keep her still.  





     The other time of change was sending Cheryl Ann on the next leg of her journey back to Canada.  She goes back to start chemo for colon cancer.  She has served in Africa for 35 years.  We pray for many more years of serving her Lord.  It may look scary or bleak but in her words, "BUT GOD"



No comments:

Post a Comment