Monday, January 27, 2014

Jumped right back into the saddle after vacation.  I had a steep learning curve about bringing in shipments to Zambia.  Learned about clearing agents, duty, clearing tax, manifest fees etc.  After visits to the airport, talking to clearing agents, moments of anxiety that I had paid large amounts of money to the wrong people, and with Peter's help, my Helping Babies Breathe equipment made it into my living room.


Lovemore and I traveled to Chingola for our first training last Thurs/Friday.  We made it a very productive trip by dropping off feeding program supplies in Mungule, Kabwe, and Kapiri Mposhe along with a survey in Kitwe and food drop in Ndola.  Chingola is just over 400 kilometers from Lusaka and is in the Copperbelt.  It was fascinating to see the big open pit copper mine and here about the mining process by one of the CHEs who worked 25 years underground in the four shafts.  They go down 500 meters and some are big enough to drive dumptrucks through!


The training went very well.  Always a few bumps the first time but good overall.  I had 21 students who are CHE trainers in their group.  It was so fun to see their expressions turn from frustration to excitement as they mastered getting air into the lungs of the dolls.  They all did very well with the hands-on tests where I give a scenario and they have to respond correctly without help from me.  Below are some pictures from the training.  Tomorrow I head to Choma with Lovemore and Nancy for the next training.



No comments:

Post a Comment