Wednesday, December 11, 2013

You can tell how busy I've been by my lack of posting.  Much has happened already in the month of December.  

On the medical end the little anemic preemie unfortunately lived only another 3 days before passing away.  I saw a baby back for a follow up visit after I admitted her the week before with fever and jaundice.  One of those stretching times.  The bili lights worked but I had no bilirubin lab to check (the lab was out of distilled water so couldn't run a bili).  Running on averaging the time under the lights and prayer.  She looked great and mom was so happy-baby was alert and breast feeding well.  I left the hospital worrying about a 10 y/o boy who came in with sever malaria.  He was unconscious to begin.  Thankfully half way through his first quinine dose he woke up but was still not with it.  He was also very pale, Hgb 6.8.  He got transfused because his other numbers showed it was a quick drop, not slow decrease like the malnourished kids with hemoglobins that low.   I was grateful when the nurse called me yesterday to tell me he went home from the hospital just fine.  The girl with seizures and brain damage from Fringilla Clinic was able to find a home for handicapped children.  Sounds like a good place where they teach them at their level, and she will be well taken care of.  Thank you for the prayers.  

Saturday we had a Balm Clinic free screening day! We had 30 people! It was a good day of reaching out to the community. The patients seemed pleased so they can come back and tell others to come too. Dr. Nkole and the rest of the staff are so great to work with! (and the new sign started getting painted)

We've had several medical meetings.  The best was when we connected with the people at the Ministry of Community Development Mother and Child Health.  Christine and I visited a local clinic to see how they do cervical cancer screenings so we can do it right on our mobile medical clinic.  It seems like a simple thing to set up a meeting and see this but the number of factors that needed to align to make this happen are innumerable.  I was overjoyed that it all worked out, and we learned just what we needed.  I also connected with them about Helping Babies Breathe training.  They had me write a letter to the Permanent Secretary of that division which led to a meeting with the physician in that office which led to a different group I should contact which leads to another meeting next Monday.  Praying it all goes well.  The kits and instruction manuals are on their way from China!

This week and next week Christine and I are teaching at the Bible School.  Our Foundations for Health class for pastors has gotten off to a great start. I'm enjoying co-teaching with Christine and meeting a wonderful group of pastors. This lesson in the picture was on nutrition and health promotion. I had them divide all sorts of food into the food groups. The fun part was when they didn't know what cantelope was so we had a spontaneous tasting snack.




All smiles! I finally got to ride a bike. It's been more than a year. Thank you Pastor Stephen (pastor, gardener, mechanic, and all around guy with a great heart) and Paula! Glad Chris and Rob got me a little off road biking before I left Michigan...that's what all the roads I can safely ride on look like here. I promised Nancy and my mom I won't ride on the highway that is Great East Road.

Phew! Riding it reminded me how much I can't breath. Looks like a trip to Dr. Bastian for a bigger hole in my vocal cords when I get back to the States.

 The small things that make me feel at home here: On the way home last week I had one of those small but meaningful encounters. I was getting gas and ran into a person I know from one of the churches. So nice to know I've been here long enough to run into people randomly. Miss that small town feeling.

Lastly on the church ministry front:  Mike and Judy Santiago asked if I would do a session in their leadership seminar. (It was at the church I call home here: Oasis of Love). I was worried at first b/c I feel like a leader by default because of being a doctor but not someone who can lecture people on how to lead a church or business. The topic he gave me was on self-observation. All about being a person of character equals being a good leader. I felt good about that topic. Preparing for it, I got really into it. Presenting it went really well and people really responded to the message. I love how the Holy Spirit makes certain points stand out to different people. Amazing and humbling when the Holy Spirit moves.  

Our hearts were somewhat sad but excited as we sent Nancy and Archie off to Malawi this week.  They will be doing somethings still in Zambia but be living in Malawi.  I will miss having them so close but am excited to see the new things God is doing in Malawi and hope to join them for a visit later in the year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment