Friday, January 18, 2013

My application is moving along the process.  Have enough funds to be able to ask to be approved by the financial people to allow me to start booking a ticket.  Working on getting work permit/visa.

I spent a wonderful 2.5 days in Phoenix, AZ at the International Wholistic Missions conference last week.   It was great for a number of reasons.  It is always inspiring to meet with like-minded people with a heart for reaching those who haven't heard the Good News.  I also got to spend time with the missionary I'll be working with in Zambia.  I also caught up with another missionary who was in Zambia when I went in medical school.  It was great to meet her husband.  Disappointed I won't be seeing them much in Zambia since they are on their way to another missionfield.  They are definitely kindred spirits.

I was challenged by a number of the plenary speakers.  The most challenging was one of the authors of the book, When Helping Hurts.  (Fikkert).  I had read the book a few years ago but new growing and focusing is always needed.  He brings out the notion that poverty is not just a lack of material things.  Those who are poor use terms that include lack of power, lack of opportunities, sadness, hopelessness.  None that actually talk about lack of money.  He then talks about how all of us have brokenness in our lives.  The effects of sin cause damage to the systems of the world (societal, political, religious) and to individuals within themselves, with others, with creation, and with God.  Each culture has its own expression of sin and need.  We need to approach those in poverty with humbleness because we both are broken and in need of a Saviour.  We can learn from those we are helping just as much as we are being helped.  I liked the idea that we are not bringing God to the poor.  He is already at work in their community and lives.  It is our job to come along side and join in what He is already doing.  I'll share more later.

Excited to almost be able to set a date for leaving.  My last week of work will be the third week of February.  Zambia Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment