Sunday, June 26, 2016

    In the past few weeks I have managed to settle into my house (mostly), visit several churches and good Zambian friends, have a couple housecalls, get my work permit approval and get all the paperwork for my Zambian medical license.  God worked graciously so that I didn't need to restart the work permit process but just renew my old one.  He also was good in allowing me to contact my medical supervising physician in Zambia just a week before she left for further training in South Africa.  She went above and beyond to get me the letter of recommendation and approval form so I can take it to the Medical Council this week.  I'm applying for full registration from a temporary license.  This will allow me to practice medicine in Zambia and I will just need to complete continuing education credit, like in the States.  Please pray for favor as I go to the office on Tuesday.
     I met with the director of Circle of Hope this week and have an invitation to come volunteer there.  It is a clinic from one of our Zambian churches, Northmead PAOG that focuses on HIV testing and treatment.  Christine is starting the mobile medical clinic there doing cervical cancer screening.  Once I get my license, I will go through the training for that and join her.  I will also be partnering with the PMTCT department.  That stands for the prevention of mother to child transmission.  We will look at community outreach as we go and I hear more.  I'm excited about this opportunity.
    I got to see how my moringa trees are fairing at the Ministry Center.  One has grown quite tall and I will have him cut after we get the pods.  The other two are in the wetter part of the plot and you can really see how moringa do not like water.  One started tipping over during wet season.  We'll have to start over with him too but at least I'll have some seeds.  I was excited to hear Lovemore telling me 3 of the CHE groups are using a lot of moringa leaves/powder.  We will be visiting a few places to see how to help fill in knowledge gaps and see how they are doing.  Community Health Evangelism has grown so much in two years it is a little unbelievable.  I look forward to following up with the groups and meeting new people.
     





Today I made a fun purchase at the market.  This hippo followed me home.  Help me think of a name for him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment