Friday, June 21, 2013

Had a lovely day yesterday with Mr. Mutale at the clinic at Fringilla Farm. Helped a woman with severe pneumonia and waiting to see how a little one with a heart murmur does over the next week. She needs to gain weight and I need wisdom to know when to refer her. 
This afternoon I am meeting with a group called Special Hope Network that works with intellectually challenged kids. Looking to see how I can help them medically.  Excited because when we had coffee together earlier this week, the help they needed described my medical expertise to a tee.  This missionary couple, Eric and Holly Nelson, have adopted several children with special needs (down syndrome).  They came to Zambia to partner with churches and others, giving help on how to provide services for the intellectually challenged.  What they found was no one was ready for that yet.  So they started a few steps back and work in 2 compounds in Lusaka with parents and children.  It's a combination of education, physical and occupational and speech therapy, medical help (many kids with seizures etc), nutrition supplementation and spiritual guidance.  These families struggle with being in church because their children can't participate the same way in the children's programs (which are minimal to begin with).  The nurse who was watching over the medical aspect and nutrition of the kids has returned to the States so I am seeing how I can help.  I'm looking forward to meeting a number of the kids today and seeing how the program operates.  

Of other note, below is Mr. Daka posing with the two gardens he has built at the ministry center.  He looks very serious.  He said it was because the sun was in his eyes:).  I am grateful for the help he has been making and taking care of my plants there.  

This is the street where I am for 2 more days.  The blue gate and cream walls are the outside of our yard.

These are my two "tower" gardens.  Onions in the top, cukes on one side and zucchini on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment